Car accidents happen every day in Texas, from minor fender-benders to life-altering tragic car accidents. Since you most likely spend a lot of time on the road, it’s important to know how to protect yourself and others from car accident injuries. Here are five tips for preventing a car accident:
- Make sure your hands are properly placed on the steering wheel: When you are driving it’s important to sit in a comfortable position, so that you can reach the pedals easily and the steering wheel. Your hands should always be at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock on the steering wheel since it gives you good control during quick maneuvers.
- Keep your vehicle well-maintained: A common cause of car accidents in Texas, and most states, is because a car blew a tire, had worn brakes, broken windshield wipers, etc. Car accidents can be avoided if you maintain your car’s tires, oil and get any malfunctions fixed as soon as possible.
- Don’t ride in the far left fast lane: Most car accidents occur in the fast lane. If you are driving, it’s important to stay in the center lane because if you ever have to move quickly to avoid a car accident, you have more escape options in the center lane than in the fast lane.
- Avoid accelerating immediately after a light turns green: Many car accidents occur at intersections because other drivers flew through a red light. Before accelerating, make sure other drivers at the intersection are completely stopped.
- Make wise driving choices: Before drinking and driving, using your cell phone while driving, eating while driving, etc., think about the other people on the road way and protect them and yourself by getting a designated driver or putting away your cell phone and other distractions while driving.
Even if you practice safe driving, many other drivers don’t. If you or a loved one were a victim of a Texas car accident due to a negligent driver, you deserve compensation. Contact the Texas car accident attorneys at the Law Offices of W.T. Johnson today and set-up your free, no-obligation consultation.