By JohnDrunk Driving Accidents

After you are hit by a drunk driver, you are in shock and might not know what to do next. To ensure you get fair compensation, here are some steps to take if you are ever the victim of a drunk driving accident:

  • Contact the police immediately: If you or a loved one was injured you should call 911 right away. But even if you weren’t injured, you should still contact the police to inform them about the suspected drunk driver and the accident.
  • Describe the accident in detail to the police: Make sure you tell the police why you suspect the driver was under the influence, so they can include it in their reports. Here are some common drunk driver indicators you could share with the police:
    • driver was turning with a very wide radius
    • driver was hovering over the center lane marker
    • driver was weaving, swerving, drifting or braking erratically
    • driver was driving slowly or stopping without reason
  • Await the results of the police: The police will put the suspected drunk driver under investigation and test their blood alcohol content to see if it’s higher than the state’s legal limit. If it is higher, they can be arrested and punished. Depending on the injuries that were caused, the suspect will likely go through a criminal trial.
  • Contact a DWI lawyer: If a drunk driver injured you or your loved ones, you have the right to sue them in a personal injury lawsuit for the medical costs and emotional turmoil that they caused your family. A DWI case can be very complicated, which is why you need an experienced DWI lawyer to help your family get the justice you all deserve.

If you or a loved one were the victim of a drunk driver, the Law Offices of W.T. Johnson can help your family get the compensation you are entitled to. Contact us today to set-up your free consultation.

Previous Post Next Post