Filing a Medication Error Malpractice Lawsuit
Taking a proper medication can improve your health and even save your life. Unfortunately, taking the wrong medication can have the opposite effect. Researchers estimate that medication errors cause over one million injuries and/or deaths each year in the United States. Adverse drug reactions are the number one cause of inpatient fatalities. While rates vary a great deal among different facilities, it is believed that at least one incidence of medication error happens per hospital, per day.
If you’ve been harmed or lost a loved one due to a medication error, you can pursue a medical malpractice claim. To find out more about your rights and options, you need to consult an experienced attorney.
The Dallas medical malpractice attorneys at Crowe Arnold & Majors, LLP has over 25 years of experience and will take a personal interest in your case.
We urge you to call us today at (800) 738-4046 for a free consultation.
Causes of Medication Error
There can be many causes for a medication error, including:
- A physician prescribing the wrong medication or dosage, or misdiagnosing your illness.
- A medical professional inaccurately taking your medication and medical history.
- A physician failing to predict a bad interaction with other medications you are taking.
- A nurse or other medical practitioner dispensing the wrong medication or wrong dosage.
- A pharmacy giving you the wrong medication or wrong dosage.
Pharmacies stock thousands of different drugs, and doctors are not necessarily known for their legible handwriting skills. For this reason, we recommend double checking the name and dosage of the medication a pharmacist gives you.
What Damages Can I Recover in a Malpractice Claim?
The following damages are commonly awarded in a medical malpractice lawsuit:
- Medical bills resulting from your injury. These can include ambulance and emergency room fees, hospitalization costs, medications, and more.
- Pain and suffering from your injury.
- Lost wages if the injury caused you to miss work.
- Loss of future earning capacity.
- Permanent injury or disability.
- Punitive damages.
In a case where a patient dies because of medical malpractice negligence, a wrongful death suit can be filed. Here are the common damages awarded in a Dallas wrongful death suit:
- Funeral and burial costs.
- Medical bills.
- Pain and suffering of the deceased before death.
- Loss of future income.
- Loss of future income or benefits (like retirement and medical benefits).
- Loss of love, companionship, affection, friendship, guidance, etc.
- Loss of household services the deceased performed (like childcare, chores, maintenance, etc.).
Talk to an Experienced Dallas Prescription Medication Error Attorney
If you have been injured or lost a family member due to a medication error, you deserve to be compensated. Crowe Arnold & Majors, LLP has represented injured clients for over a quarter century. In that time, we’ve recovered millions for our clients.
For the sake of you and your family, call the Dallas prescription medication error lawyers at our offices today at (800) 738-4046 for a free consultation.