Electricity is a must in nearly every Texas home. Most of us use reliable sources of electricity in order to carry out our basic daily tasks – everything from making a cup of coffee to running the pump for our tap water. But while electricity has revolutionized the way humans live, it can also pose certain risks if it is not handled safely in the household.
Experienced Texas product liability lawyers know how a hidden defect in an electrical product can easily cause dangerous shocks, burns, or household fires. Here are some “shocking” facts and figures about electrical safety and its risks:
- Over 30 people are killed each year by faulty electrical wiring or appliances, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- Electrical problems cause nearly 4,000 home fires each year.
- Between 2007 and 2011, 46 percent of home fires caused by electrical failure started in small appliances, like washers and dryers, fans, and heaters. 48 percent of electrical fires started in the home’s wiring or lighting.
- From 2007 to 2011, 325 people lost their lives in accidents involving electrical problems or the house fires those problems caused.
Protect your family and home with these simple steps:
- Unplug small appliances when you are not using them. Surge protectors can also help protect your equipment and your home in a storm.
- Double-check cords for fraying or cracks before you plug them in.
- Use the CPSC website to stay alert for product recalls, especially recalls of electrical appliances. Recalls are used to address hidden defects that might not reveal themselves until it is too late to prevent injuries. If you have a product that is being recalled, stop using it immediately and contact the manufacturer.